Monday, May 11, 2009

May 2, 2009 Chapter 2


There's a new sense of freedom post treatment. I expected to feel paranoia waiting for the cancer to rear its ugly head again. So far I've only felt impatient - waiting to regain my strength. I get dizzy whenever I bend over and I still tire more than I used to. I haven't really thought about cancer since I walked out of the door of the radiation center the last night. I've been back to work full steam and it's felt normal and it's felt wonderful. Until yesterday.I found a new lump. It is tiny like the little lumps I felt before. It is just beneath my skin on the same "breast". I guide my husband's finger to the site. He can feel it too. He made a comment last week which, at the moment, seemed like an omen and sent a shiver through me. He said, "Anyone can make it through a bout of cancer with some sense of grace. The real test comes when the cancer returns." My brother is proof of that. And my friend Cindy. And Gerri. And me? Am I to be re tested? So soon?I will call Dr. Kato on Monday to schedule an appointment. Is it scar tissue? I was going to wait for my scheduled visit to him at the end of the month but we need to know. It's odd that I have no sense of fear this time. I've been here before. It's still fresh. Still familiar. I just didn't expect to be back so soon. Perhaps it's nothing. Isn't that what I told myself last time? Shoyei talked to his doctor about it yesterday who told him he seriously doubted this would be anything so soon(less than two weeks) after treatment. I pray he is right.

No comments: