Monday, May 11, 2009

May 7, 2009 The Exam
I called Dr. Kato's office first thing Monday morning and they told me to come on down - the doctor would want to check out my lump. We jumped in the car and drove the familiar 100 mile trip to his office and were quickly ushered in. I lay on the examining table while Dr. Kato probed the spot in a bouncing-end-of-the-fingers motion. My "lump" is the size of a grain of rice so his examining method seems strange. Can he feel it? He face is unreadable as he says "I'm going to have Dr. Kuske look at this. He's right down the hall." And off he goes to fetch him.
As soon as the door is closed my husband attempts to duplicate Dr. Kato's trampoline style examination and determines he must've missed it. He has me sit up, I humor him by complying. His finger goes to the ballpoint "X". "It's easier to feel when you're sitting up," he says.
"I'd hoped he would say, 'oh that's nothing, just a little fatty necrosis'," I say to my husband. I read about such things in my effort to diagnose myself. Just a little bit of fat that died due to a lack of blood supply.
Dr. Kuske enters with Dr. Kato and I realize this is the first time I have seen them together. My team. I have formed a deep affection for them despite their prior missteps. They're human, I've come to understand. My life is literally in their hands. "She's marked it for us," Dr. Kato tells Dr. Kuske proudly. "Very good," says Dr. Kuske drawing out "very" as he feels for the lump. "Is this new?" He asks me in a tone to suggest it shouldn't be there after seven weeks of radiation. I don't say what I'm thinking, that it lies just outside the remaining "tan" line. Did his beams miss it? I know he can see that for himself. "I don't know," I answer, "I haven't really started examining my self yet." He seems stymied. What is it, he's asking himself, his face far more readable than his partner. "We could do a punch biopsy," he says, directing his comment to Dr. Kato. "I've got everything here to do it," he adds a bit proudly. Dr. Kato nods, clearly deferring to Dr. Kuske on this one. I'm certainly not going back to Dr. Corn. "But I'd want to wait a month until you're completely healed from the radiation," he says to us all."I'm not sure I can wait a month," I say, "You don't think I'm healed enough to do it now," I ask? "I'd rather wait," he repeats, "you know there's a one in a thousand chance this is anything," he says looking directly into my eyes. That is what I came to hear I think to myself so I take a deep breath and agree to wait.
"Let's see what happens in a month," he concludes, "and if you still want the biopsy we'll do it then." If I still want the biopsy I wonder to myself. I'm pretty sick of being cut into. But I will research "punch biopsies" on the trusty Google search where I get all my medical information.
As we drive away the words "one in one thousand" comfort me and I determine this is nothing at all. In a month I will be sure of that hope.

No comments: