Wednesday, February 4, 2009

September 14, 2007

Multitaskaholic - an Aside

True confessions. Okay, I admit it. I am a multitasking maniac.I work a Soduku while I'm brushing my teeth.Talking on the phone and driving is automatic. In fact there are a great multitude of possibilities when driving. All long distance driving includes books on tape for me. Who has time to read?

Actually, I read myself to sleep every night! While listening to sleep music of course. Did I mention I have several books going at once. I never used to! I was a one-at-a-time book reader forever. There's just so much to read!

I listen to talk radio while I'm getting dressed every morning.And I don't know what I'd do without my Blackberry - it enables me to read and respond to email, review contracts and juggle my calendar all while enjoying a relaxing ballgame with my husband.

In fact, today's world of automation from electric toothbrushes to PDAs (personal data assistants for those of you who are blessedly unaware) screams multitask! And I gleefully hollar back YESSIREE! After all how can we expect to have our cake and eat it too unless we are juggling two or more balls at a time?

The truth is - doing just one-thing-at-a-time has come to feel like a colossal waste of time to me. How can slowing down ever become an option when I can't get it all done now despite my high level multitasking skills?

No comments: